The packaging’s closure is a detail as important as underestimated. Yet it can have a significant impact on the user experience and even help create an indelible impression of the brand. The first impression can lead to a purchase, but the overall experience can determine customer loyalty.
The packaging for cosmetic products is a sector in rapid transformation, the trend is to create increasingly environmentally friendly and recyclable packaging, since 70% of waste in this sector comes from packaging. At the same time, however, the packaging for cosmetic products is crucial and helps to enhance the value of the product contained within, giving it a more refined and attractive appearance. For these reasons, the cosmetics industry, today, is looking for more and more special packaging that is able to conquer and easy to recycle and eco-sustainable.
The fourth Packaging Challenge compares the aluminum tube and the dispenser, usually made of plastic or glass.
Here the reasons why the aluminum tube is a better choice than the dispenser:
- Aluminium is infinitely recyclable. Aluminium has an appeal not only for the environment but also for the production efficiency it guarantees: there is no loss in its reuse process. On the other hand, plastic, of which the dispenser is almost always made, can be recycled but not infinitely and not 100%.
- The aluminum tube can be rolled up and squeezed to use the product to the last drop. On the contrary, the bottom of the dispenser always remains that product that cannot be extracted.
- The dispenser is “always open”, it doesn’t always have a cap…and even when it has one (think for example of foundations) it got almost always lost, especially if the bottle is carried in the bag or in the cosmetic bag (when it happens it is the end, because it dirty the whole inside). In terms of hygienic safety, it is a malus: the product remains in contact with air (and therefore with bacteria) which can constantly enter, degrading faster.
- The dispenser must stand upright and this makes it impractical, especially on the road. Not all cabinets or drawers have high enough compartments. The aluminum tube instead can be easily stored in any drawer or cabinet, both vertically and horizontally.
- Thanks to the fact that the air does not penetrate inside the tube, it is possible to limit the use of preservatives, therefore the aluminium tube is particularly suitable to contain natural products.
- The dispenser does not allow you to have full control of how much product comes out: if one dose is insufficient, two may already be too many. The result is a waste of content. This does not happen with the aluminum tube that allows easy dosing of the product thanks to the malleable properties of the material (which also does not “shoot” the product as often happens with dispensers).
- The aluminium tube is highly reliable: it is the reference packaging of the pharmaceutical industry precisely because it guarantees hygienic safety. Also thanks to the fact that, being deformable, it does not draw in or retain air inside, as happens, for example, with most plastic tubes in circulation.
- The advantages of choosing the tube to the dispenser do not end there … if we go into the world of marketing, the tube is still the winning choice. If on the dispenser you can customize and print only on the space occupied by the label, its rival allows customization along its entire surface (potentially even on the cap), as demonstrated by our fantastic ToBeUnique.
If you are curious about the peculiarities of the aluminum tube, or you are undecided in the choice between aluminum tubes or dispensers, please contact us: we will be happy to help you find the aluminum packaging strategy that best suits your needs.