Packaging is not just a commodity: it plays a key role in product strategy. The choice of packaging, in fact, can strongly influence the purchase decision of the final consumer. And these decisions are subject to changes, even sudden ones, based on the stimuli that come from the events we experience, from the news we receive. The purchase criteria are many and extremely variable. A scenario in which companies must move with extreme caution, developing an accurate packaging strategy, based, first of all, on parameters that are as objective as possible.
But let’s go to the practical level, with concrete examples.
Let’s imagine a single serving product, an aftershave cream for a man’s necessaire, or a portion of jam for breakfast at the hotel. And that’s not all: single-dose packaging is in fact one of the growing trends in the retail industry. If you live alone, it avoids the waste of leaving a package halfway, if you live with others, it allows all members to have their own tube, thus avoiding that several users contaminate the same product (think of cosmetic creams or sauces or jams, especially in the presence of food allergies or intolerances).
In short, single-dose is gaining ground in both the BtoB (Horeca, receptivity) and BtoC (retail) markets. And the choice of packaging is more strategic than ever.
So why should a company opt for an aluminium tube rather than a glass jar for its single-dose products?
The jar and the tube certainly have some aspects in common: they are 100% recyclable, environmentally friendly.
However, although they are brothers in ecology and have many qualities in common, there are at least 8 good reasons – not exhaustive – to prefer the tube in single-dose packaging:
- The aluminium tube guarantees the safety of the product. Thanks to its protective function against light, air and environmental contamination, aluminium preserves its contents optimally.
- The aluminium tube is hygienic: like the jar it is easy to wash (or disinfect) but unlike the latter it is also easy to keep clean, thanks to the dynamics of the product delivery.
- Every time you open the jar and extract a part of the contents (whether with your fingers or with a spoon or knife) you contaminate the remaining product. On fingers or cutlery are in fact naturally present bacteria that can easily migrate inside the product. The deformable aluminium tube, on the other hand, allows the delivery of the desired quantity without the need to affect the rest of the content, preserving its integrity. In this way, waste is avoided and hygienic safety is once again guaranteed.
- The shape of the tube is more suitable for space-saving organization in tight spaces. Think of the hotel pantries, but also the mini-fridge in the rooms. And why not, even the lockers in the homes of singles and couples, who often have to “fit” their shopping in narrow spaces.
- Even in the monodose, there is a lot of content to be added. We always think of the “marmellatine” of breakfast in the hotel or the hand cream given as a gadget. Both the glass jar and the aluminium tube are resealable, so you can take the remaining product with you. The aluminium tube, however, does not risk breaking inside the bag or backpack; the same cannot be said of the glass jar… moreover, aluminium is malleable: it takes the shape of the remaining contents and its size is reduced considerably. The glass jar, on the other hand, always has the same size, whether it is full or empty.
- Aluminium is lighter than glass, which is remarkable if we carry it in our bags!
- The aluminium tube represents an important company advantage in terms of storage and transport: if a glass jar falls, breaks or splinters, it becomes unusable in both cases. The aluminium tube, at the most, will repair some dents, but without compromising the integrity of the product.
- The advantages of choosing the tube to the jar don’t end there… if we go into the world of marketing, the tube is still the winning choice. If on the jar it is possible to personalise and print only on the space occupied by the label, its rival allows customisation along its entire surface (potentially also on the cap), as our fantastic ToBeUnique .
There are many features that make the aluminium tube a winner compared to the jar in single-dose packaging. Are you still in doubt? Contact us and we will be happy to help you, together with our managers, to find the packaging strategy that best suits your needs.